Located on Acoma Street between West Eleventh and West Twelfth Avenues, in Denver, the Evans School is an imposing structure that reflects the classical revival style of architecture. The building is a single, detached structure, irregular in shape, and three stories in height. Its exterior walls are made of specially prepared brick as well as stone, iron, and cement. The east or main facade has eighteen bays, three in the north projection, six in the indentation immediately to its south, three in the center pedimented pavilion, and six in the indentation immediately to its south. The north and south facades have eleven bays each; five on the east, five on the west, and one in the center. Two decorative windows, not counted as bays, flank the center entrance. The west or rear facade has a large number of bays and a major projection with a chimney above which is the flat deck with a surrounding railing which was used by the school for physical education classes. The roof is hipped.
The main body of the structure is of specially made red brick set in stretcher bond. The wall construction is probably load-bearing brick. The wall design includes an entablature and frieze above the ground floor windows on north, east and south facades and again above the third floor windows (surrounding the structure); there is a sill molding beneath the second floor windows around the north, east and south facades and corner quoins. Two pilasters with Ionic capitals are featured on the north and south facades as well as on the north and south projections on the main facade. A date stone that says "A 1904 D" is placed above both the north and south entranceways.
The Evans school is significant for its architectural excellence; for its association with education development in the city; and for its association with David W. Dryden, an important Colorado architect. In addition, the school was named for John Evans, an early territorial governor, important business leader, and a founder of the University of Denver.
The architect for the Evans School was David W. Dryden, a pioneer designer who practiced in Denver for thirty-five years. In 1901 he was appointed the supervising architect for School District #1, a position he held until 1912 when he resigned owing to poor health. It was during this tenure, however, the he designed twenty-three school buildings of which only three remain in essentially their original form. The Evans School, one of these three, is particularly important because it was designed to serve as a model for other schools that would be built in the district. Planning for the structure began at least as early as 1903, and construction began the next year.
Once completed, the Evans School served the public for sixty-nine years. Throughout this time it was an elementary school although for a brief period in 1917, it also housed Junior High students. In 1928 the school district established a Hearing Conservation Department at the Evans School and in 1930 a Sight Saving Department. For many years the school was the only one in the area that served the deaf, blind, or physically handicapped, and it was the only elementary school in Denver open in the summer.